Route through the volcanoes of Olot
The city of Olot can be discovered in many ways, on this route we will do it in a very special way: through its volcanoes. With this itinerary we will be able to discover nature in the middle of the city, since the urban fabric of Olot is articulated around one of its most famous volcanoes: Montsacopa.
Also known as the San Francisco volcano, it reminds us that we are on volcanic land and in a region where the landscape will surprise us at every step. The Montsacopa is also one of the viewpoints par excellence of Olot. A few minutes from the center, we will enjoy impressive views over the city, which has another must-see in the Parque Nuevo: the Museum of the Volcanoes.
- Departure point: Montsacopa volcano / Parc Nou.
- How to get there: Following the urban signs in the Parc Nou car park or in the cemetery car park, where we will have to leave the car to climb the Montsacopa volcano.
- How to do the route: On foot or by bicycle (except the section from the Montolivet volcano to the Fuentes de San Roque).
- Duration: 4 hours covering the entire route (Montsacopa volcano, Parque Nuevo, Monteolivete volcano and the San Roque springs). 1 hour and 15 minutes if you only visit the Montsacopa volcano 3 hours from the Museum of Volcanoes, Botanical Garden, old town of Olot, Montsacopa volcano and return to the New Park.
- Remarks: Access with motorized vehicles in the Montsacopa crater is prohibited, except vehicles with prior authorization from the Natural Park. The route is flat except for the climbs to the Montsacopa (40 meters) and Monteolivete (50 meters) volcanoes.
- Signposted itinerary: yes, in part. Pedestrian route no. 17 of the Natural Park.
If you have already discovered the center of Olot -after touring the streets and squares of the old town- it is time to climb one of the most unique elements of the city: the Montsacopa volcano. Also known as San Francisco, you will identify it by its church, the watchtowers and its profile that stands out from the old town of Olot.
It can only be accessed on foot, but the ascent is worth it to contemplate the quintessential urban volcano that is, at the same time, an excellent viewpoint of the city. Going around the volcanic cone, you will see different views of the neighborhoods of Olot and other points of special interest, such as the Garrinada volcano, the Aiguanegra mountains and the peaks of Bassegoda or the Virgen del Monte. On your tour of Montsacopa you will find the hermitage of San Francisco, built at the end of the war of independence on an old military site, and the defense towers, which were built in the Carlist era.
If the visit to Montsacopa has aroused your curiosity about volcanoes, we suggest that you go to the Parque Nuevo. On the ground floor of the Torre Castanys, is the Museum of the Volcanoes that will bring you closer to the volcanic phenomena, the earthquakes and the ecosystems of La Garrotxa. But the Parc Nou gardens themselves are also a reason to visit. The almost four hectares of green area with elements of English gardening, some exceptional forests with native specimens and a garden of medicinal plants make the Parc Nou a space for recreation and, at the same time, for rest.
If you still want to discover new places in Olot, you can go to the Montolivet volcano and the San Roque springs, enjoying a refreshing excursion through the Fluvià. Nor can you miss the commerce of the city of Olot, and the great gastronomic offer of the region or the Moixina wetlands.