L'Espluga de Francolí
Shire: Conca de Barberà
Altitude: 411 m
Surrounded by the river Francolí Prades Mountains lies the Espluga of Francolí, a population of the region of Conca de Barbera located within the province of Tarragona.
Its name comes from the Latin "spelunca" which means cave. Full meaning as it has in 1853 was discovered in this area, the cave of Font major. This cave has been declared of "great middle" as it is huge, reaching more than 3590 meters of galleries. Also, for it runs an underground river that comes out through the larger font. This source is considered the source of the river Francolí. Also since the cave was discovered found an archaeological site that justifies the presence of man on herself.
The town has several museums. Espluga Caves, where you can take a guided tour through the interior of these cavities, the Museum of Rural Life, shows tools and traditional local crafts and family customs, among other things, and the Museum Wine, this cooperative winery located in the Espluga modernist, it is the oldest museum in Catalonia and was project Lluis Domenech i Montaner. As anecdotal point should be added that this winery Angel Guimera baptized with the name of the Cathedral of Wine.
Also note the old hospital of the order of Sant Joan. This was created by the Knights Hospitaller between the XV and XVI.
Getting into the story, it says that the year 1837 under the stairs of the old church of Sant Miquel hid the remains of the Catalan kings, as they had been desecrated in the Monastery of Poblet. But it was burned down in the third Carlist wars in 1873.
The proximity of the monastery of Poblet and the fact be of great importance has generated population miscellaneous services were incorporated to complement it. Although traditionally this town's economy was based on agriculture.
As regards the natural environment of this village we can see that one side dominates the forest (South) and on the other the mountains, fields and trails. Amid this panorama lies the chapel of the Holy Trinity.